FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Examples of Status not recognized with an Aeroplan ticket on transborder AC flights
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:37 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canopus27
Like the OP, I've had occasional problems for years because of this. Does anyone know why reward tickets don't get the AP number included on them?

I originally thought it was to prevent additional mileage accumulation on a reward ticket - but if it's possible to have different accumulation rules for tango fare classes, then it should be possible for reward classes (X & I) ... even for AC's creaking IT system.

What is the motivation for keeping the AP number off the PNR?
I believe they are trying to prevent the system from allowing mileage accrual on the ticket, even though its not supposed to. The biggest risk of this happening, IME, is during irrops, when flight changes made can be easily booked into a revenue class. I know this happens on UA often (both pre- and post-merger), as this is usually the easiest and/or fastest way to rebook.

I have had this problem on several occasions when flying on awards from either my father or my AP account on AC, both non-status, where my *G status (from UA) will not show, and cannot be added. I've tried calling Aeroplan, AC reservations, having it added at the airport, etc. and I've never been able to get it to work. I've been lucky to not have needed it (yet).