FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who never flies a US carrier International?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 3:52 am
Apieinthesky

Originally Posted by exbayern
I will avoid American carriers for the reasons already given in this thread, but also because of the absurdity the US government places on passengers flying US carriers to the US. (The silly 'security' questions, gate searches, removal of liquids at the gates, etc) Besides the better product and service, I'll gladly fly a non-US carrier to avoid all that.
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. What silly questions? You mean by CBP, or by security? I've never been asked any questions flying domestically. I've had to answer more "silly" questions at foreign airports like who packed my luggage, where has it been for the last three hours, etc. This was done at security and then again at the gate.

By gate search, do you mean your bag being searched at the gate? That's only happened to me once in all my life, and the TSO (or whoever it was that did the search) merely glanced inside the main compartment of my duffel.

Removal of liquids at the gates? I've never experienced that. If you mean at security screening, foreign airports do that as well.

Lastly, how does flying a non-US carrier help you avoid any of this? If you are flying from or into a US airport, the security procedures are the same no matter what airline you fly. Security is all handled by the TSA. Security at foreign airports is much the same. I'm just a bit confused as to what you're referring to.