FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United has the WORST customer service. (2013 Edition)
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:38 am
JS297

United has the WORST customer service. (2013 Edition)

My husband and I were travelling back from our honeymoon on September 12, 2012 from Buenos Aires to Newark. We each had 1 bag. One was fairly big and one was small. On our way abroad, our big bag was slightly overweight but our small bag was well under weight and we did not have any issues. However, on our way back, we had many issues. Our big bag was slightly overweight (5 lbs) and our small bag again was well underweight. The agent that was checking us in told us that each bag had to be under weight and it didn't matter that both our bags combined were under that amount. I knew exactly what was in our big bag that was causing it to be heavy, so I asked the agent if I could quickly transfer it into our small bag and he would not allow it. He also said that the only way we would get our boarding pass is if we went to another ticket agent and paid the fee. We were pretty much forced to pay an extra $200 on top of tickets that were already very expensive. When we got our tickets, we also realized that our seats were not together. I confirmed our reservations right before checking in and made sure our seats were together but when we check in, they were not together and there was nothing anyone could do and we had to sit separately the whole entire flight. They also changed our seats on our way to our honeymoon as well but that issue was fixed (even if it was 5 mins into boarding time). I expected a full refund when I came back to the states and filed a formal complaint on their online site. That ticket agent did not even give me a chance to transfer things over to our much lighter bag. I complained once on their site and apparently I had the wrong ticket number so I called someone to update the information and all a representative told me was to go online and I'd have to wait the 7 business days again after I already had waited 7 business days to begin with. On top of that, it was so hard for me to even talk to someone in the first place. When they finally replied back to my formal complaint, they said that disputes must be made at the time of the payment so nothing can be done now. How can I make a dispute in Buenos Aires when 1) I am in a foreign country and 2) we are trying to catch a flight? My husband and I will never be flying United again. My husband has been a Continental/United member for years and we also have the credit card. We will be cancelling that as well. This has not been my first bad experience with United but this will be the last since I will never fly them again.

Last edited by J.Edward; May 5, 2013 at 9:13 am