FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Op-up - was it really worth it?
View Single Post
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:16 pm
simd

Programs: TK Elite, AC SE
Op-up - was it really worth it?

Long and complicated story….
Trip today (YHZ-YOW), deliberately booked extra segment (YHZ-YYZ-YOW) to get the miles to get me just over 40K and score extra eupgrades, which I need for an upcoming TATL later this year.
Successfully upgraded both the departing and returning flights at T-4.
At check-in – delays today, won’t make the connection in YYZ. Rebooked on YHZ-YOW direct. Specifically request cancellation of upgrade, confirmed by agent. Given seat 20A.
At the gate – my name is called, GA gives me new BP for 1A. I make a point of saying that I didn’t request an upgrade –GA says that his list says I am upgraded, and if I didn’t ask for it then it is my lucky day.
Checked my eupgrade account – still have all 12 points missing … balance is 22 points- not enough to upgrade my TATL in both directions. My balance after this trip (due to the missing extra mileage) will be just short of 40K, so no extra 10 eupgrades.
Called AC …they can’t see the file on a weekend. Tell me to call back on Monday. My return flight (already upgraded) is on Tuesday. I definitely get the feeling that they don’t believe me and think I am trying to scam them.

My options, as I see them:
1. Call back on Monday and explain (again) and hope that they credit the points back to me
2. Cancel the return upgrade to keep my points balance at 28
3. Hope that the miles on the upcoming outbound TATL are credited soon enough that I can get over 40K and have the 10 points credited in time for the return trip 1 week after I leave.

Anyone have any other ideas or advice?
What would you do?

Last edited by simd; Sep 30, 2012 at 9:41 am