FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5 Days in St John - Should I rent a car?
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:47 pm
Recreation

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Steph58
Being that it's the off-season (1st of October), will the parking still be bad in Cruz Bay? Lots of rental agencies and all have availability. If we decide to go with a jeep, maybe there will be specials if we wait until we get to STJ to make a decision.
I've never been to St. John in October, so I really don't know. I do know that some restaurants close in the fall due to low season, so it would stand to reason that the crowds are thinner. The town is a short 10 minute ride, so even if you can't find a spot, you could easily drive back to the hotel and take a taxi.

Originally Posted by Steph58
Before your post, I booked an Avis car in St Thomas. Managed to scrape $100 off the rate just by dropping a day (had been 8) and picking up at the cruise port rather than the airport (but with return to STT). We're staying at Marriott the first night. So for my weekly rate of $235 I thought it was a no brainer. But I certainly don't want to skid out, damage the undercarriage, or get stuck in dirt/sand on STJ in a rental car.
$235 is a great rate. Our 6 day Jeep rental cost over $500. All the roads we ventured on are paved; it's the jackknife turns that caused us to skid out. Anyway, I'd say keep your car and see how it goes. Worse comes to worse, park it and take taxis instead. Actually worse comes to worse, you'll be in the middle of a hurricane and won't need to worry about your car size.

Also, what time is your return flight? Be sure that the car ferry runs when you need it to run, and that the car rental place is open as well. A poster on another board had an early morning flight and had to return his car to STT a day early.

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/in...o%20Cruz%20Bay