FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anybody for Adak Island, Alaska in October
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:41 pm
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chugach
"Supermarket" would be a very generous term.
Super compared to Teller, AK

Originally Posted by spc354
Also, I am a verizon subscriber... which does not seem to work over there. Any idea for a short term prepaid SIM that will work for the period? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
AT&T roams out there on Windy City Cellular. 1x is very slow with high latency - latency with phone service too. You can purchase internet on a daily basis but didn't figure out details. If in a group a good set of walkie-talkie radios would be good to bring (I forgot mine) but this is line of sight based.

Originally Posted by fenx
ANC-ADK is 10000 Avios each way if that's your fancy.
7,500 AS miles each way, and can have a free stopover in Alaska too (I did ADK-ANC-ADQ one island to another with a couple months in between )

Also, bring all food and extra in case your plane can't land. The store is spendy and adds up fast. The place we stayed at (with alphaeagle) had a full kitchen.

Fun place to go and had great weather in July - sunny and overcast. No real rain or wind so kinda missed the true experience.