FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:11 pm
SEA1K4EVR

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by warreng24
My parents want to fly PHX-BKK. The know roughly when they want to leave, but they do not know when they want to return. That's the problem.

It looks like I have a couple of options:
1) Book award tickets from my account (1K), which permits no cost changes provided that the class of service (saver vs standard) is available.

2) Book the lowest available fare, take a rough guess as when they want to return and hope it works out. Otherwise, pay the 250.00 change fee and the fare difference.

3) Book what united.com calls a "flexiable fare" which may waive the change fee (supposedly it "varies" according to the help box that pop's up, so I'll have to carefully read/interpret the fare rules).

4) Book a fully refundable fare (aka "unrestricted fare").

Some of my thoughts, can someone check my logic on this?
Option 4 seems horrifyingly expensive.

Option 3 only makes sense (to me) if the flexiable fare that waives the change fee is less than $250.00 more than the lowest available fare (option 2).

Option 1 seems like the best solution, but there's no saver business available. So, I'd have to either do economy or standard business. I was planning (with the revenue tickets), to use Miles+Copay to upgrade them. Also, my parents don't get PQM's (fka EQM's) on the award tickets.

I'm leaning towards Option 2 right now and rolling the dice... Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Read the fare rules of the flexible fare. Usually it will allow you to make change to the return..as long as they are made after the outbound flights are flown...without a change fee but the same booking code will have to be available (more than likely it'll be a Q, H, or M fare..not Y or B), and they can't exceed maximum stay requirements.