FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best chance at upgrade flying to Europe?
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:27 am
jfishma

Best chance at upgrade flying to Europe?

Hi everyone. This is my first post b/c I finally made it to Top Tier Elite (not Prestige) status (thanks to a business trip to Seoul this year!). So that means that I earned top tier elite privileges for 2012. I need to book a flight TODAY from YUL to CPH for next month. I want to maximize my chances of getting an upgrade (either through eUpgrade or star alliance upgrade-- i have the miles to spare right now). Here are my questions:

1) Outbound: I can either fly Air Canada Tango Plus (S class) (to London or Frankfurt) and try to get an eUpgrade 4 days before or I can fly Lufthansa to Munich and try to use miles for a *A upgrade. Any thoughts on the chances?

2) Aircanada.com does not have a desirable return flight home for me, but expedia is showing a flight that looks much better. So, if I buy my ticket on expedia, with the outbound as an air canada flight (S class still), will I still be eligible to use my eUpgrade credits? Yes, right? As long as I use my aeroplan number?

3) I also saw a slightly cheaper fare if I technically booked the whole trip as a Lufthansa trip even though the outbound leg is operated by Air Canada. If I book it as a Lufthansa flight but it's operated by AC, will I be eligible to use eUpgrade credits?

Okay, thanks. All thoughts welcome. Is there anything that being *A Gold gets me in these cases?

Last edited by jfishma; Sep 21, 2012 at 5:35 am