FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:27 pm
redtop43

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Searching RDU-OTP

I am trying to find award space RDU-OTP and back. The outbound will be early August 2013, return mid-August. The over-the-water segment must be business class.

I realize that for some carriers, these flights would not be loaded this soon, so I have searched some other dates to try to refine my search skills.

I learned from my trip this year to search segment by segment, and that sometimes you can put together an award at low miles if you fly coach on the domestic segment, which is fine.

The problem is the European segment. I've found that sometimes it's necessary to book on Tarom from AMS or CDG to OTP to make the trip work. (FCO would be possible also.) But I can't figure out how to actually search on RO. The only tools I'm familar with are DL.dumb and awardtravelr.com. Awardtravelr.com did not come up with any flights at all in August, and I tried another week in April and it came up empty also.

Can someone give me advice on how to search AMS/CDG/FCO-OTP and back? And perhaps also how to search AZ from the USA to FCO? What are the "must-have" tools for this?