FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Refund for taxes on routing change with award ticket?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:22 am
matthewsoft

Programs: UAL, AAL, DAL, NKS, JBU
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Exactly how much do you figure that you're owed back?

Best way to find out, btw, is to call and ask!
Well, I think I am at least due back the second portion of German taxes I paid since I'm no longer flying through FRA. What's even more odd is the Belgium tax changes depending upon if I go through EWR or FRA!

I will call because I need to reschedule SFO-ORD anyway, but I was curious what other people have experienced.

BRU-EWR-SFO:
Belgium Embarkation Tax $34.90
U.S. Customs User Fee $5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee $7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee $5.00
September 11th Security Fee $2.50
BRU-FRA-SFO:
Belgium Embarkation Tax $33.50
Germany Passenger Service Charge $24.50
Germany Airport Security Charge $8.10
U.S. Customs User Fee $5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee $7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee $5.00

Originally Posted by star_world
Because the Belgian fee is in Euros and ITA and UA are using different exchange rates.
Possibly, but usually it's only cent, not whole dollars.

Originally Posted by lunettes noires
I rebooked an award trip to Europe through different gateway cities in May, and although I wasn't expecting a refund, the total upcharge for taxes came out to be something like $9 more than expected difference between what I'd already paid and what the website was pricing new bookings at. I asked the agent to itemize the fees so I could try to match them up with the list on united.com, but he couldn't (or maybe it would have required another call to the rate desk), and just getting the flights that clearly had availability on the web site to show up on his screen had been enough of a challenge that I decided to quit while I was ahead and not press the matter.

I don't think the discrepancy could be explained by the exchange rate, as the website ought to be pricing in real time and there was only a couple cents on the dollar difference between the rate at the time of the original and modified bookings. Perhaps there is a bug in our favor in the web pricing engine?
It's strange how the web site is different than the phone system on the same day.