FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any reasons not to move over to Avios?
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:21 am
Disco Volante

Originally Posted by layz
I've also been offered 20% bonus for transferring Amex membership rewards into BA. With the demise of bmi the only airline partner I collect with is BA and so I think the 20% offer is worth taking.

Raffles - as an expert on these things, do you think the 20% bonus is worth taking?

If I combine my bmi balance, Amex MR and BA balances I will go above a million Avios, I'm also likely to hit gold by the end of the year, so next year will be a good one to spend all these miles knowing I'll get a soft landing to silver.

My worry is as my Avios balance will more than treble, would that set off alarms and cause a review of my account? I've not done anything wrong, all the Amex points are from legitimate spend, the bmi ones a combination of flying BD/*A, Hilton and more recently their credit card. But I don't like the thought of triggering an audit like has happened to some others.

Of course I'll be moving my bmi miles over regardless, so it's more the Amex points I'm worried about triggering something, but I don't want to miss out on the 20% bonus if it's considered a good deal.
There is currently a 40% bonus for MR to Avios (see the thread in the BA forum) and in the past there has been a 100% bonus. So unless you need the Avios, and it sounds as if you don't, I would keep the MRs at the moment. They offer more flexibility, you may get a better bonus offer next year, and Avios award avilabiltiy is poor.