FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Entering the US with outstanding misdemeanor warrant(s)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:38 am
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Entering the US with outstanding misdemeanor warrant(s)

I've searched previous FT threads and Google for an answer to this, but get mostly unresponsive information.

My question is: "Will you certainly be, or likely be, arrested upon return to the US if you are a US citizen and have an outstanding state misdemeanor warrant in the same state as your port of entry?"

To clarify my question and exclude all of the non-responsive answers that came up in my searches, I am NOT referring to any of the following:

- What happens upon entering a country other than the United States.
- What happens when leaving the United States.
- What happens to someone that's not a US citizen.
- What happens if it's a federal warrant.
- What happens if it's a state felony warrant.
- Advice that warrants should be taken care of before int'l travel.
- Arrest records
- Conviction records

Generally speaking, state misdemeanor warrants are not entered into NCIC, and therefore jurisdictions at the federal level or in other states are generally unaware of them. My question relates ONLY to state misdemeanor warrants in the same state as the port of entry.

So, this leaves the following questions:

1. Does the CBP officer at the port of entry have direct and automatic access to state records? That is, will a standard passport scan that returns no hits in NCIC or other federal databases nonetheless alert the CBP officer if there is an outstanding misdemeanor warrant? If so, is this limited to the state where the port of entry is located, or does it extend to multiple states or all states?

2. If the answer to 1) is Yes, even if it's only for the state where the port of entry is located, does CBP routinely take into custody those that have such outstanding warrants?