FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK gov't has passport; can't change ticket
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:56 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
Here's the backstory:

He's British, I'm American. We met in Tokyo while we were both working in Japan.

I applied for (and received) my fiance visa in February. I moved to the UK in May, and we got married in July. I'm applying for a visa that will allow me to stay in the UK and work, and start the path to residency.

If I wait to reapply after I get back from the US in November, my fiance visa will have lapsed, and I'd have to apply from outside the UK. In that case, I'd be stuck in the US for months until the new visa is processed. I can't do this, as my mother in law has terminal cancer, and I'm her primary caregiver here in the UK. I was only planning on being away for a week to see family, and introduce my husband to Thanksgiving dinner.
This seems a no-brainer to me. As an expat living out of the US for long periods, I've often had to sacrifice times I'd rather be with family. Top of the sacrificial list was the Thanksgiving holiday. Stay in the UK, deal with your overall visa situation there which is of far more importance in the scheme of things, and cancel the ticket home this time. There will be other Thanksgivings.