FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK gov't has passport; can't change ticket
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Originally Posted by zkzkz
If they haven't even started processing it you might consider just telling them you need it back and will send in your application again later.

Alternately you can ring the US embassy and tell them the situation and ask if there's any way to get a second or temporary passport. Different countries do it differently. I know the UK issues second passports but other countries (I believe including the US) insist each person should only have one passport. It may still be possible to get temporary travel documents though.

Also, if you're a US citizen you may be able to travel to the US without a passport. Any proof of citizenship should be sufficient -- check the DHS site to see what they would accept. It does mean not being able to fly to other countries though.
Wrong! I have two US passports. The first is good for ten years. The second has to be renewed every two. I carry two for this reason. The time it takes to get visas for some countries is over a month. Having the second one allows me to travel while the visa is being issued on the other.