FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask us about Malaysia travel…
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:04 pm
Dolphinyong

JW Marriott KL trip report

Hi, guys, I have just completed one night stay at JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur using Marriott Megabonus free night cert (pm me if you are not yet a marriott member and would like to be referred in order to get some extra points).

About one week before our date of arrival, I emailed the hotel to ask for platinum complimentary room upgrade and perhaps 'something' special for my girlfriend's birthday. Got a reply almost immediately saying that they would take note about it. I didn't expect much actually as it's booked using free cert. They did ask for my girlfriend's name though. Besides we mentioned in our concierge email that we would arrive at 10am.

Check-in process :

We arrived at the hotel exactly at 10am. Our arrival was expected, a nice young gentleman (Mr. Jeoffery) was there waiting for us actually according to what he said (luckily we were punctual). He greeted my girlfriend and wished her happy birthday (she looked surprise and shy, ha). A lift attender is (and always) doing his job at the lift lobby. Mr. J led our way to our room which has been upgraded to a junior suite!!! However, we were stuck in the lift for about 10 minutes,zzz. Mr. J did his job well when we were stuck in the lift, totally professional. He brought us around our suite and briefed us about the platinum benefits. That was the best check-in process that I have experienced so far. However, he forgot to give us the platinum arrival gift card, I didn't utilize the platinum guarantee though as Mr. J doesn't deserve a complaint like that.

Staff service :

I would give them 11 out of 10. GM called to our room to apologize for the lift problem and wished my girlfriend happy birthday, afterwards, a huge set of chocolate with a hand-written card written by the GM was brought to our room as 'token of apology'. A plate of fruits and several boxes of chocolates were already there when we checked-in, my girlfriend took a box out with us when we go shopping, and they actually 'refilled' the missing box of chocolate when we got back 3hours later(o.O) Mr. J called our room saying that they have arranged 'something' special for my gf birthday and asked whether we would like to have wine or champagne. At 5pm, when we got back to our room, a 1kg chocolate cake, a bottle of champagne, macaron, chocolates, strawberries etc was already there (my girlfriend looked surprise and wonder how much would it cost, haha). We were allowed to invite one of my gf's aunt staying in KL to help us finish the cakes etc.

Room (Junior suite) :

The separate living area is not so spacious but cozy enough to accommodate 4 adults I guess. The decoration is stylish and modern. King-sized bed is perfectly comfortable. Bathroom was huge enough with a bathtub, a separate shower area and a separate toilet. A whole container of bath salt deserves a remark. A portable internet modem was provided and we were told that we can bring that modem out of the hotel, great isn't it!!!

Lounge :

Very high-class compared to the lounge in other Marriott hotels. Great view, great service. Food served during the cocktail hour has high quality but low quantity (better than the other way round isn't it?) I asked for some special non-alcoholic cocktail and the staff were nice enough to make something 'new' for us. She got back after a while to ask for our feedback, it's kinda too sweet for me, she immediately brought another glass of drink for me with different ingredients which is not so sweet=) I asked for a lemon from the lounge staff at night for our vodka, and she reopen the kitchen to bring us one=) Cheers!!!

Breakfast :

Free for gold/platinum member 7days a week. You can choose to have it in the lounge or the restaurant. We went for the restaurant breakfast as recommended by Mr. J=) That was the best hotel breakfast buffet which I have ever had so far at any marriott/non-marriott hotels across Asia and Europe. A wide variety of food, consisting of Western, Malay (local), Chinese and Indian cuisine. The food is excellent both in terms of quality and quantity. Do try some of the local food, which we, the Malaysian love!!! Besides, the settings of the restaurant deserves a remark, cozy and high-class=)

Absolutely perfect for both business and leisure purpose. It's located right the middle of shopping area with plenty of nice restaurants around. Try the local food at Jalan Alor which is about 10 minutes walk from the hotel, you won't regret=) The nearest LRT station is about 5 minutes walk away and please take the LRT when you are in KL, you might be stuck in super heavy traffic jam if you take the taxi, it's beyond your imagination. Just take care of your belongings well when you are taking the LRT.

Checking-out process :

It took 1 minute=)

Overall 12 out of 10=)

Public security tips when you are in KL :

Recently there are a lot of teenagers/youngsters wandering around the shopping area in Kuala Lumpur, especially somewhere near to the LRT station. Remember, just ignore them!!! They would approach you with some 'forms' in hand, asking for your signature (for charity purpose they said, ya right), they will force you to give them money after you have signed it. It's allover our local newspaper here, and they have recently turned their target to foreigners. Some of them speak understandable English, but please, just pretend as if you couldn't hear them.

Hope it helps some other FTers=)

Regards,

Dolphinyong=)