FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:48 am
seanthepilot
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I see a major problem in some members' thinking (sorry, if I am being to bold). I have read this many times.

The concept is that a good Flyertalk member has to be a 'giver' and not just a 'taker.' This is just not true.

Some people post. Some post a lot. Some post (what I may refer to as) dribble, while others post fantastic information.

Other Flyertalk members just read. They don't post much. And it must be ok. If no one read people's posts, we'd really be in trouble... posting for no reason whatsoever.

Flyertalk has many uses. One is to use the information laid in previous posts. Another is to contribute, if one chooses to do so.

If people want to make judgement on who is a 'good' or 'worthy' FT member, that is fine. But when they take it out on new posters with a snarky attitude, then I think it's all of our business. In fact we have a responsibility at that point to let the offending member know that voicing their opinion in this fashion is not acceptable.

THE BUCK SHOULD STOP HERE.
>>> BAD ATTITUDE UNWELCOME HERE... ESPECIALLY WHEN IT INVOLVES NEWER MEMBERS

but that's just my opinion

Some people are more concerned with being the off-topic police

I think that if TB were to pass an amendment to the TOS suggesting that posts stating "go search" or characters that don't add to the conversation be deleted, members would RBP posts like that. Right now, I would guess most don't, because they won't be deleted.
I like the thinking. If the snarkiness won't go away, let's target their keywords. In a word.... "Brilliant!" @:-)

Originally Posted by djp98374
If I am planning to say travel to Washignton Dc or London I would go and look at the destinations thread to get information....so its natural to want to do research on by reading past threads before I post a question on What hotels are good in x location of the city....it would be good to have a thread on hotels.

If I am not familiar with the hotels there I am not going to know what chains are located there.
This is a perfect example of how the future of bulletin boards should be. ONE THREAD which can be viewed in MORE THAN ONE FORUM. It's just database management. It can't be difficult to produce (I know, let me have it now...).

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Know that this thread has just turned me OFF as a person who has posted regularly here for 10+ years--for what it's worth. I mean, c'mon people... listen to yourselves!

I have just unsubscribed from this one. Enjoy it!
If you can't stand a healthy discussion, then the right move is to unsubscribe. Flyertalk has many of these type of discussions, but most of them are in private forums. I think it's very healthy for this type of debate to take place amongst the whole membership. There is no need for every thread to have an action point or solution. But the discussion and involvement of all, for all to see, is something we should promote, not back away from.

It's just a healthy discussion.