FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Progressive Auto Insurance raised my premium 40% since I opened too many credit cards
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:41 pm
China Clipper

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Jesperss
My policy is coming up for renewal. No changes to the policy, no tickets, no address changes, no accidents...nothing. However my premium went from $640 to $908 which is a 40% hike. I've had Progressive Insurance for 13 years now.

Confused I called up. After speaking to two reps I finally got my answer: your credit has changed. Which is ironic since my credit score has actually gone UP nearly 25 points (750 to 775). I've never had a single late payment in my life. My credit has never been better.

So I dig into the document. Progressive starts everyone with a score of 100, the lower the better. I had 20 points subtracted for various good things - no late payments, ect. However I had 15 points added due to opening new accounts. Good right?

Well not good enough. I was dinged since I've opened "4 or 5 loans or accounts opened in the last 12 months". I've opened four credit cards and done a refi on my place in the last 12 months. That's it. One credit card every three months. Opening those four cards was enough for me to drop out of that perfect tier and cause my premium to rise 40% a year.

I could have had two speeding tickets and my premium wouldn't have been raised this much.

Anyone else experience the same thing?
Originally Posted by Sorthum
One thing about USAA is that they tend not to play this game-- but they outsource their motorcycle insurance to Progressive.
Actually USAA has done exactly the same thing to me as the OP. I opened four new CCs in a year and have a FICO around 810. No refi here though, and no claims ever on any policy. They jacked up my car and home insurance dramatically and I'm shopping for a new insurer.