FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Not Allowed to Charge iPad in CW seat!
View Single Post
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:02 pm
BoeBus

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Not Allowed to Charge iPad in CW seat!

Yoink! iPad AC/USB charge ceremoniously and without warning, removed by CSD.

"I'm sorry sir but you're not allowed to leave this in if the device is not in use".

Me "sorry, I don't understand it..." I was cut off mid flow.

CSD:"You can only have it plugged in while you are using the device, otherwise it must be removed."

Me, still trying to get a word in, and being as shocked as my iPad was at being cut off so abruptly: "but it takes less than".

No dice, she who shall henceforth be referred to as Steamtrain, carried on "the engineers have told me that it's not allowed. They get very hot".

For me, there are obvious issues here:

Electricity: an iPad charger draws around 2 amps, far less than the majority of laptops which would take around twice that much. I sincerely doubt that the CW seat, even on an ageing BA 747 would have any problem with that.

Service from a CSD: I was really surprised by the manner in which she appeared from behind the bulkhead (I was in 64A) and removed the plug without even an "excuse me Sir" and then presented her explanation afterwards. A CSD should know better.

She knew it had only been plugged in for about 30 minutes as she'd wafted by earlier while I was head down and plugging it in and asked if I was ok... I told her I was just connecting my iPad.

I didn't want to start a probably pointless discussion about the comparative current demands of various electrical devices. And something about her demeanour triggered the schoolboy-afraid-of-the-headmistress effect in me and I didn't question her methodology either.

So, are we not allowed to charge iPads now, only use them??? If not, this ought to be communicated in a much more appropriate manner.

All this, and they forgot to offer me any scones. Overall they weren't the best crew I've had, but then we all have good days and bad at work.

Oh and I am posting this semi-moan having just submitted two well-done's for recent flights