FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR-FRA-YYZ, YYZ-YUL-LHR (LH And AC Business) Or From Home to Home and Back Again
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:15 pm
GregWTravels

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
The Stranger in the Familiar Land

Overlooking the tree-lined streets and calm, blue waters of my childhood.

Despite only having left Canada 4 years ago and having been back a few times since, I hadn’t spent much time in Burlington since I moved away 15 years ago (originally to Toronto, and then to London). I had spent a few days, and the occasional overnight, but mostly had focused my Canada life on Toronto.

On this trip I spent 7 days and nights in Burlington, the longest I had been there in a very long time.

It was all so familiar, but at the same time, very different.

I ended up feeling like a tourist in the town I grew up in. A stranger in a familiar land.

Not just familiar because I knew it from my past, but also familiar in the sense "of my family." In the place where my family lives, but much changed since I lived here. New places, new configurations, new structures. All change. Same place, but different. I am local, and I am the foreigner.

“You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.” - Heraclitus of Ephesus, c. 535.– c. 475 BCE.