FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 44 Min Intl Connection at EWR?
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:19 am
RossUK666

Programs: UA Gold
Add me to the 'don't risk it group'

Last Dec the wife and I flew MAN-EWR-LAS. We checked one bag as far as EWR because MAN security can be fussy about size of carry-ons. We had a two hour connection which dwindled to 60 minutes because of delays.

We were in the first group off the plane. There was no queue at all at passport control (A minor miracle) but it didn't matter much because we still had a 20 minute wait for the checked bag. By the time we got the bag we were less than 30 minutes from take-off.

Dashed for the monorail for B to C. Minimal queue at security but kindfolks let us go ahead (Didn't bother with the priority line). Naturally our gate was 112 at the far end of the spur. We made our way to the gate as quickly as possible but we still missed the 15 minute cut-off time by five minutes or so.

The happy ending was that they hadn't closed the door FA was looking down the terminal and possibly saw us charging down the terminal. I don't know - I didn't ask, I was too out of breath. Possibly the fact we were in First may have helped. Certainly, almost as soon as we were seated they closed the door and we pushed-back on time.

So, if you deduct the 20 minute wait for baggage it took us 40 minutes gate to gate without any holdups at passport control or security.

A connection time through EWR of less than 90 minutes would leave me a bit twitchy.