FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Complimentary Upgrades Work
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:33 am
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by thumbelina
Missy. if you added this information to your wonderful discussion illuminating how AS constructs its waitlist it might help people decide whether or not to ask for repricing.

Better still, if you would ask your IT department what it would take to keep people in their spot on the WL and whether that could be a 75K/MVPG benefit to separate us from the MVPs.

Many people have been complaining about "chipping away" of elite benefits--
I don't think the beancounters have found AS gets much more revenue because elites are not repricing their tickets because of this as THEY AREN'T
AWARE they are losing anything by doing it in order to avoid doing it. How would they know it could be a problem, if they didn't ask to have the date they were added to the WL read to them after repricing. Who would even think to ask that?

Despite the many times I asked, I was always told all they had to do was generate a certificate and nothing else, especially not my place in the upgrade list would change.

Is this also somethiing that is not easily fixable with your computer system?
If so, just let people know so they can do their own cost/benefit analysis of whether the difference in price is worth (the almost certainty of) lowering one's priority on the upgrade waitlist.
This is clearly outlined when you generate a GARR at alaskaair.com - its an option that you have to select that indicates you will be removed from the upgrade waitlist and need to rerequest your upgrade. As for AS changing this- I think it would be a technical limitation as this generates a new ticket # (due to ticket exchange I think) and one cannot be on the list earlier then the ticket issue date. If it were to change I could see all sorts of 'favors' happening...

So yes a 'known issue' and a risk of the GARR.