FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask us about Malaysia travel…
View Single Post
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:41 pm
Dolphinyong

Hi,

Sorry for late reply=)

Well, for me, I would choose the flight=) It's safe so far, and I hope it's always safe=) Of course, you can save quite a lot by taking land+ferry transport, but carrying your luggage and squeeze around in the bus station and ferry terminal might make you exhausted before you reach Tioman=)

How to get there from KL? I would suggest you to take a cab if you are having some 20kg luggage with you. The fare is about MYR 28 only according to this website : http://www.taxiautofare.com/my/taxi-...-to-kl-sentral

You might wanna check out Perhentian island as alternatives=)

Do report back after your trip, it certainly helps the others=)

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Dolphinyong

Originally Posted by in2it54
I plan to be passing through Malaysia next May (flying into KUL). I have never stayed in Malaysia.
The plan would be, 2 - 3 days viewing everything touristy that the city has to offer, then very keen for beach rest holiday (4 - 5 days) at Tioman Island, before heading on towards Europe.

Now the questions (from my web research).
Tioman by air. Berjaya Air only - are they safe and normally run to schedule ? Departure is from Surbang (SZB) - what are my options for getting to SZB from the city. Luggage restrictions will be a issue unless I'm prepaired to pay excess - 10Kg and 5kg hand (we will probably have 20Kg each, as this is the first week of 5).
Tioman by bus and ferry from Mersing - ferry times are spasmodic and sometimes crowded.

What would be your Tioman travel choice and why ?
Any Tioman accomodation tips beyond what I see on TA ?
Is there a good beach holiday option that I have overlooked and you would recommend (sand between the toes, a good book and a cold drink !!!)