FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Racial Profiling at BOS
View Single Post
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:24 pm
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
Many investigations by TSA internally have resulted in varying forms of discipline, ranging from a "Don't do that again" all the way to mass firings. The investigation in Hawaii began with complaints from TSO(s). Look at the boondoggle that turned out to be. I think that if something is there (and I concede that with this many employees coming forward, it is hard to imagine that nothing is going on), we will hear of some folks hitting the bricks. I also understand (having been involved in investigations before) that jumping to conclusions without evidence is a good way to make such a mess that the wrong people often get punished. A true investigation doesn't take place in a 45 minute tv show, or two days, it can take months to do things and do them right (unless you get what we used to call a golden egg - you have a full confession from someone deemed sane, and all the evidence links them, and even those took a couple of days to a month depending on the evidence processing/testing).
The concern here is multi-faceted.

TSOs and LEOs have come forward to say that there was racial profiling (which is a fancy Newspeak term for persecuting people based on their race rather than on any kind of legitimate evidence, cause, or suspicion).

We're concerned that this profiling is mandated by the secret policies outlined in secret documents which are not available for us (the public) to review. You can deny it all you want, but until those documents come out, there is no way to prove that racial profiling is not an official part of TSA's SOP.

We're also concerned that, even if there is no official policy of racial profiling, it may be an unofficial, unspoken policy, encouraged in a quiet wink-wink manner by TSA management in BOS, and either not known or tolerated or even encouraged by TSA higher management.

We're concerned that the entire BDO or enhanced interrogation pilot program in place at BOS is inherently flawed. These programs may have a built-in racial, cultural, gender, or age bias, or the implementation of the programs may be inherently flawed by the biases of those who created them, or the programs may be inherently flawed in that they don't compensate for possible inherent bias on the part of individual BDOs.

And we're concerned that an investigation of TSA by TSA may cut loose some scapegoats - a few bad apples - while not addressing the actual problems that caused the racial profiling in the first place, because TSA's primary aim in this investigation is not to solve the actual problem, but to address the public-relation problem alone.

So, even if we do hear of some folks hitting the bricks, I won't be satisfied with that unless the investigation is conducted by objective third-parties outside of DHS, or the entire interrogation and BDO programs are eliminated.

Scratch that. I won't be satisfied till those programs are eliminated. Period. There is no justification for them, and they are far too dangerous to allow them to continue.