FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:17 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Which airport is this?

They aren't following proper procedure. In the case of "ineligibility" or a medical reason that the person cannot assume the position, they are supposed to send them through the WTMD and pat them down *only* if there's an alarm. You're getting the grope because you didn't go through the WTMD. If you're told "you're an opt out" after saying "medical," a polite but firm "No, I never used that term. I said I am medically unable to lift and hold my arm" is the proper response. Calling an STSO usually does the trick as well.
Most recently, at PHX T2. I always get selected for the NoS if it's open. I explained once again that I can't assume and hold the position. This time (first), the TSO told me to demonstrate my physical limitation. I did. Then she said the same thing I always get: "You're an opt-out". I said "I'm not opting out, I can't get into the right position". A supervisor was standing right there; she stepped over, asked what was going on. I said I wasn't opting out, I just can't get in the position. She said "Then you are opting out. If you want to fly, you have to be screened. If you can't use the AIT, then you will bla-bla (full body grope, swab, bag search, bla-bla)".

I never get directed through the WTMD as an 'alternate'. I get told I'm an 'opt-out', I wait for an 'assist' (sometimes quick, sometimes not), and I always get a swab and bag search.

If the NoS is down or I luck out and manage a SDOO, I always clear the WTMD without any problems.

Because of the (sometimes) delays waiting for an 'assist', I usually just go to the NoS as directed. Once I'm in the NoS, when the TSO monitor tells me to assume the position, I explain that I can't. I get a shrug/eyeroll/asked why I didn't tell someone sooner, but I also get an immediate grope by the post-NoS TSO (since my entire body is an 'anomaly', I guess). Plus I have never gotten the swab and bag search when I approach it this way.

I don't doubt some folks who are unable to assume and hold the position and don't use the magic words 'opt-out' get sent through the WTMD, but unfortunately, it has never been my experience yet.