FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - help me choose my credit card programs
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:18 pm
hautecouTours

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
I just signed up for the new Chase Fairmount card and will receive upon $1K spend within three months (I've nearly done it in one) two free nights at any Fairmount property worldwide. I will likely choose the Savoy as I've always wanted to stay there and won't spend $700-1000/night for a hotel. It's nice for tacking on a couple of nights in London ahead of a sailing. The Hyatt card has also been good to me.

Originally Posted by samnc0
I posted a question to this forum about a week ago, and got very good replies. Thanks. I want some suggestions about where to go now with my CC accounts. I spend about $1,000 a month on CC. I wish I could put my car payment, mtg payment etc... on a CC, but I can't do that, or dont think I can

Anyways, I want to primarily use my miles for international flights, especially to east asia and south asia. I have a United Miles Plus credit card which is my primary CC. I also have a HHonors visa (not the kind that gets you the 2 weekend deal/gold status deal) and the Am Ex SPG card; the one with the $65 annual fee that is waived each year.

I am a Hampton Inn kind of guy when I stay at hotels, although I might want a luxury hotel for a night or two when I travel internationally and if I take a trip with my 6 y/o son, he might enjoy staying at a "fancy" hotel...but I have no other desires to stay at say a W or Westin as opposed to Homewood Suites or Hampton Inn. Questions:

1. SPG card. I dont think this card will do me much good...I originally got it for the 10,000 *wood points, and initially wanted to dump these points (with no spend requirements) to my United account at a 2:1 ratio, giving me 5000 miles. But, everyone tells me this is pretty dumb, so I might keep it so I can stay at a *wood hotel when I travel to Asia again. I dont think I will try to get 20K miles ($5K spend over 6 months)...do you think I am missing an incredible deal on this to get 30K *wood points? I am assuming transferring the 30K points (which will actually be 35K points) to my United Acct will be seen as pretty wasteful.

I am planning to dump this card before the 12 months is up. Is there any real reasn to keep it once I get the miles, assuming I dont want to stay at many *wood hotels? I am assuming if I dump the card, I can keep my *wood miles, right?

2. HH visa. 40K points for $1,000 spend in four months. This seems to be a very affordable and cheap way to get 40K points. Since there is no annual fee, I am thinking of just keeping this card and not converting the points to my United miles (10:1 ratio!) Does this seem like a good idea? I am a Hampton Inn fan, as said above.

3. Chase Sapphire Premire. I dont have this card yet, but will get it some time in the not too distant future, once I figure out if I should spend enough money on the Am Ex and Visa to qualify for their specials. This card seems like a very good deal...40K United Miles for $2,000 or $3,000 spend.

4. The HHonors card that gets you gold status. I am a bit uncertain about this. My son would love to go to NYC with me (or Chicago etc...) and stay at a very nice hotel there, or this can come in handy if I am to go to Asia and want to stay at a nice hotel, as it gives me two free wkend nights. But, I am not certain about paying $95 for the card, although the hotel stays will probably more than make up for it. Being a general Hampton Inn guy, it doesnt seem that gold status will get me much...do you disagree?

Right now, my plan is to not really use the *wood Am Ex card (and give up the 20K bonus miles); get the 40K on the HHonors card, and after that do card #3 and then #4. Do you think this is a good logical course of action for me? I would like to bump up my United miles (have about 35K now) as quickly as possible, but feel I should at least fulfill my HHonors card to get the 40K points first. Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated.