FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MR from Singapore?
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:42 am
Traflying

Originally Posted by rkth90
Hi Traflying, i'm on the same boat as you! Currently am looking for a run as well.
The closest i have ever achieve was HKG-SIN-LHR-SIN-HKG on SQ. worked out to 9 cpm.
Originally Posted by kaysquare
Then you are looking at other FFP and not KF. I suppose you do know that you earn miles flying on SQ and credit those to other FFPs.

SQ's KF doesn't give you a min mileage either.

In my experience, there are hardly any MRs in Asia, let alone from SIN. I'm still looking for 1. Alternatively, if you have the spare capacity, try to slot 1 in if available when you're in US for work/leisure.

Most folks don't have a clue what an MR is, and they think I'm mad for convuluted flying much less an MR.
Originally Posted by sporadic
Traflying,

I'm a Singaporean who was based in the US for the past 2 years, and I'll say that UA miles are one of the best mileage currencies around. They are a part of Star Alliance, as is SQ, and can therefore be used to accrue miles from SQ flights (except for the SQ fares that only earn 50% or 10% on KF, which do not accrue on UA at all). UA miles don't expire (unless you have had 18 months of account inactivity), they can be used to redeem award tickets on multiple Star Alliance airlines on the UA website, and UA does not charge fuel surcharges UNLIKE SQ. I recently redeemed 70k UA miles on a one-way ORD-DUS-FRA-ICN-TPE-SIN on a mix of LH F, TG C and SQ C. Total price: US$52 for taxes and fees, US$25 for booking over the phone, and US$75 for changing the date, i.e. US$152 all in. SQ will never give you something this cheap even when flying SQ C or SQ F longhaul.
Thanks a bunch for the responses!

I see, too bad, I have travelled quite some miles (abt 30k) on SQ since early this year and all the miles were in KF..

I can see that UA is also a good deal since there are many Star Alliance airlines that are parts of UA.. For me, the most important thing is that I can redeem the mileage on airlines that fly from SIN, since it's where I'm currently based..

Is there any way I could transfer my 30k miles from KF to UA account?

Do you guys think it's better to keep my KF account or to open a new UA account for my next travels (which will also be on SQ)?

Cheers!