FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:19 pm
cheddar56

Some thoughts from my short time here:

There is definitely a disdain for people who treat this area as a place to have someone do their work for them. I agree with the post earlier where it was mentioned that you get a better response with a "i tried this but it didnt work so any advice" works a lot better then "mongo need fly for free, make mongo happy".

Regarding the snark: I can definitely see why people would be protective of particular ideas and methodologies. There are presumably a finite number of resources and people should safeguard them accordingly. I've seen it all in my years, 4 years in the Marines and almost 20 years on the internet now ranging from an aol trolling teen to now being employed as what some would call a "white hat". This isnt bad. Not being polite isn't necessarily being mean. At work I still send links to www.lmgtfy.com when my coworkers ask me simple questions I think they should be able to answer. Its not an insult, or maybe it is?

Bloggers: Initially, I used them for basic groundwork. I now use them less, and do my own research and calculations. I may still fall back on them to double check my work, but I try to springboard what they mention and apply it differently. I also still read just to keep up on new offers, etc.

I'm no pro, don't really have the urge to be, but I like to make money stretch, so thats why I check here.

There's little point to actually "drive the newbies off" though, because their still going to lurk. Personally, I'd try to "sandbox" a Q&A board where people can ask the same dozen questions over and over again and whoever is feeling benevolent that day can throw a few bones to them (us?).