FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:37 pm
travel.flier
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by svancleavemd
Today I tried to use a travel certificate (funds left over from cancelled trip) to book my wife from SAT to VCE. I was told by UA that since part of the trip involved a LH code share (one leg, FRA to VCE, with a UA flight number to boot!) that I could not use the travel certificate. The first UA agent assumed that the certificate was a "gift" from UA for irregular ops and chided me for for my attitude. I called back to the 1K line and was told the same thing by another agent. The cancelled trip also involved a code share, but that does not seem to matter.

My response was to cancel both my wife's and my ticket on UA, and rebook the trip on LH! I only hurt them to the tune of around $5000, so I am sure that they don't care. However, I do care about how I am treated. And, at least in this case my money walked.

In June, UA had over 600 complaints filed with DOT! (Apparently, 3 times more than any other carrier.) They seem hell bent on driving business away. (Maybe Smisek owns a bunch of options which go up in value as UA's stock price goes down.) I am a 1K and my wife is a Platinum, and we are seasoned travelers. Thus we can fend for our selves pretty well. But I don't know how the typical, occasional traveler could get any help from UA.
um - doesn't UA and LH share revenue on TATL? So essentially, you just gave money to UA while giving the cost to LH. (i'll admit, i don't really know how it works, i've just heard such things)