FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Only part of Hyphenated first name on tickets
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:15 pm
Critic

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by mre5765
For all intents and purposes, Mary is your middle name or one of your middle names. It's absence from your boarding passes matters not.
Sorry, but no. As someone with a hyphenated first name, I can tell you that I take great offense when people suggest that the portion of my first name that follows the hyphen is my 'middle' name. It's not. I have a hyphenated first name and no middle initial.

To the OP: I've discovered over the years that airline systems don't recognize special characters (like hyphens). My Concur profile has my hyphen in it, but when my itineraries get sent to the airlines, the hyphen gets dropped and my first names get smashed together. But on the rare occasion that only the pre-hyphen portion of the name has appeared on my BP, it's never been an issue.

(It's also worth noting that my driver's license also drops the hyphen and only has 2/3 of the post-hyphen name, so that doesn't match ANYTHING. But TSA's never even given me a second look.)