FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:42 am
loops

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
No.
And the false dichotomy (either "TSA as it is today" or "no security whatsoever") has been discussed and dismissed many times before in this forum. So I'm not going to go into all the argument again.

What I want is security that balances risk with response. For many of us on this forum, that means reverting to 9/10/01 security: a WTMD to find the guns and larger knives, x-ray of baggage, and perhaps a random ETD to deter people with explosives. (OT: I got a random ETD on both my flights in Australia today. ) Use a hand-held wand if there's an alarm on the WTMD. Apply a discrete, professional patdown if that doesn't resolve the issue. That's it. That's all.

And for that matter, that's what the other 199 countries in the world, more or less, do for airport security. And you'll notice that there aren't planes falling out of the sky in Australia or Switzerland or Japan.

The ID check adds nothing to the security process: it doesn't matter what someone's name is. The shoe carnival is pointless; anything that could conceivably be hidden in a shoe could equally be hidden in the mouth or a body cavity. The war on liquids is pointless: the possibility of combining two stable liquids post-checkpoint to create a viable explosive is so remote that it's not worth worrying about. The body scanner is (a) invasive, (b) slow, (c) ineffective (it misses things), (d) inefficient (it has a high false-positive rate) and (e) expensive. And people can steal your stuff while you're standing there with your hands in the air getting scanned. So far it's found lots of pleats, sweat stains, hair clips, zippers, and non-existent "anomalies" and not one actual terrorist threat. Stop it already. Finally, strip-searching elderly women, people with prostheses, toddlers, and - for that matter - anyone else is an over-reaction. Stop it already.

No one here is arguing for no security. There have been previous threads that canvassed this opinion. We just want sensible security, where the action is based on risk, not on some Bruce Willis Hollywood movie plot.
this! ^^^

...and not a miserable experience for any person with or without any sort of disability to worry about or endure.