FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:35 am
T8191
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Suggestion: Grow balls. Stop being so afraid of terrorism that you're willing to sacrifice the fundamental rights and freedoms of millions of people just to make yourself feel a little less terrified of some big bwown Muswim bogie-man.

Besides, being a Briton, you don't exactly have a lot of dogs in this fight, do ya? It's not YOUR way of life that you're willing to sacrifice, since you don't have a written Constitution that protects your rights and freedoms and the British don't seem to have as firm a belief in such rights and freedoms as Americans.
Whooo … hello!

1. I am not in the least 'afraid of terrorism', so don't try hanging that one me, Sir/Madam.
It's just that millions of us in UK lived with it on the streets for nearly 40 years. I guess we have a slightly different perspective. You in the US had the "Big One" … we had hundreds of "little ones". OTOH, you in the US have thousands of "little ones", but of course you all have the right to bear arms under the much-misused "Constitutional Right" for an 'armed Militia', so that's OK.

I'll play the hard-ball here as well … as so much IRA activity was US-funded. So please take your "freedoms" and stick them somewhere dark. Feel free to fund terrorism elsewhere. Apologies if that's hard, but read a bit of history.

2. No, we don't have published "rights and freedoms". We have Law, and Lawyers, and a fairly well established Democracy with a long history. Really quite long, actually. Somehow we survive. Amazing, isn't it? Curiously we have the same beliefs as [the average] American … " Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I have all three: I just don't get all antsy about being checked at an airport - which happens in UK and in most civilised Nations.

Apologies to any Mods who are offended by this response.