FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Island Jumping in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:55 pm
NZIslander

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints GOLD
White Island 2

Sorry about dropping out like that, i was going to miss flight if i didn't hurry. Anyway the Tour Guide was really through, going over everything in detail. The landscape was amazing. All the colours and steam, very moonlike. Thankfully i'd remembered my camera. I'd purchased it last year, a Canon 5D mrk III. Pricey, but a welcome addition to my life on the Chathams. After about 2 hours, we boarded the launch and motored over to the boat. On board we handed back the safety hats and masks, before tucking into sammies and biscuits they had on board. As we turned back for the mainland, i stood leaning against the rail, sipping hot coffee. I gazed out at the island, puffing and steaming. It had been an amazing day. Back in Whakatane, i went into town to have tea, before heading back to the hotel. The next morning i left at 4.30am, to get back to Tauranga. At Tauranga airport, i gave back the keys to my rental car, and checked in for my flight to Christchurch, departing at 6.30am. As it turned out, i needed of left Whakatane so early. The flight was delayed twice before finnaly departing at 8am. The weather was overcast, but nothing major, i'd thought. The 1.55hr flight back to Christchurch went by quickly, with cloud the whole way down. I ran over to my flight to Hokitika. Because of my delayed flight out of TGA, the plane was waiting for me. I boarded the Q300 aircraft and we took off for the short hop over the alps, landing in Hokitika, 10 minutes behind schedule. So in this trip, i was able to tick 3 islands off my list.