FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Island Jumping in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:21 pm
NZIslander

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints GOLD
White Island

While technically not an inhabited island, White Island was on my 'to visit' list due to the fact that it once was home to a community of sulpher miners. White Island is New Zealands most active volcano, located nearly 50kms north of the town of Whakatane, in the Bay of Plenty. It is around 2kms in diameter, and at it's highest point is 321 metres above sealevel. Around 80% of the volcano is located underwater. After my quick 1/2hr visit to Matakana Island, i drove the 1 1/2 hr trip over to Whakatane. I checked into a motel and rested up before my big day tommorow. The next morning i awoke and drove down to the wharf. I was exploring the island today by a guided tour run by PeeJay Tours LTD of Whakatane. They operate a fleet of boats that run guided tours out to the island. The trip out to White Island, takes 80 minutes. We boarded the large boat and we made our way out to sea. Further out to sea, the staff and tour guides gave us a safety briefing, before issuing us with Hard Hats (compulsory) and Gas Masks (non compulsory). Being an active volcano, there is a lot of smoke, sulpher and gases around. On nearing the island, we prepared a little launch, which would take us the last 100 metres or so to the landing site. White Island, doesnt have a wharf, so they anchor the boat, and ferry everyone to the island by launch. On the island, you'd be forgiven for thinking you've landed on the moon. The colours and smells, very foreign. In the 1910s, a large sulpher mine was set up here, with many guys living on site for months at a time. But in 1914, the Island erupted violently and a Lahah (mudflow) wiped out the miners huts. No bodies were ever recovered, only the camp cat surviving. Since then, no one has lived on White Island. Believe it or not, White Island, is privately owned. Imagine owning a volcano!!!! The tour was very through, with our guide explaning every little detail