FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - an OMNI/Sports forum?
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:39 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tom911
If it's that way every day over a 30 day period, I'd support an OMNI Sports forum. Maybe you can keep a running total over the next month, versus just a single day, to see if the activity level is there every day. Can't say I've noticed it but I'm not a heavy poster there.
Tom, I already did that to an extent. From prior posts in the thread:

"As CPRich mentioned, June had the Stanley Cup finals, NBA finals, MLB, golf US Open, Wimbledon, tennis French Open, and two major quadrennial events - Euro and the run-up to the Olympics, so it's not quite surprising there were more threads.

Which supports my thinking that at certain times of the year(s), there are probably going to be more sports threads. But then I realized I rarely read the sports threads & just skim over titles, etc, so perhaps my thinking was off because they're not as much interest to me personally.

I thought it might be interesting to see what June/July looked like last year, so did a search back. That's when I discovered Omni threads only track back a year, so J/J '11 is now gone & I can't do a year-to-year comparison.

So I decided to go back a year month-by-month & see how often sports threads were on Omni, and see if there's a trend - ie, spikes or consistent.

I discovered they're pretty consistent - and not actually that overwhelming.

Aug '11: 110 posts, 8 sports, # per page: 0,0,3,4,1,0
Sept '11: 122 posts, 8 sports, # per page: 1,1,0,3,2,1
Oct '11; 99 posts, 12 sports, # per page: 1,4,2,4,1
Nov '11; 140 posts, 10 sports, # per page: 2,2,3,2,1,0,0
Dec '11: 121 posts, 5 sports, # per page: 1,2,0,0,1,0,2
Jan '12: 134 posts, 9 sports, # per page: 1,3,2,1,1,1,0
Feb '12: 177 posts, 14 sports, # per page: 1,2,3,0,0,2,4,2,0
Mar '12: 178 posts, 9 sports, # per page: 1,3,2,2,0,0,1,0
Apr '12; 186 posts, 15 sports, # per page: 0,1,4,4,0,1,3,1,1
May '12: 135 posts, 13 sports, # per page: 2,3,2,3,2,1

Not surprising, certain months other topics occurred a lot (ie, Nov/Dec a lot of holiday threads) & certain topics come up on a regular basis as well - workforce issues, car stuff, real estate & house repair stuff.

So I'm still in the I think certain times of the year we'll see a spike of threads on a topic (such as the Olympics) & other times it doesn't happen enough to justify a sub-forum camp.

On a personal note - while I'm following the Olympics I'm not opening every single thread. I just skim past to see any Olympic ones or non-Olympic ones I'm interested in & read those - of course I do that at any time of the year, including with regular sports threads or threads about the Fibonnaci sequence."

"Since one of the concerns/reasons for creating a sports sub-forum is that they're cluttering up the front page of Omni, I thought I'd do a further break-down of my #s for August '11-May'12.

70 pages.
18 pages had 0 sports posts (25.7%)
21 pages had 1 sport post (30%)
16 pages had 2 sport posts (22.8%)
9 pages had 3 sport posts (12.8%)
6 pages had 4 sport posts (8.5%)

That means that on non-big sporting events months, 78.5% of the pages had 0-2 sports posts.

That says to me that there isn't a need to create a sports sub-forum. Other than big sporting events months, sports threads don't take up a lot of space on Omni.

Nor am I into discrimination per se. While I may not be a big fan of all sports, that doesn't mean FTer shouldn't be able to discuss them in the regular Omni forum."

One thing - I don't agree w/ Mar2e that having a PR is ghetto'izing Omni. If anything, I think having the split allows those who don't want to read all the "hot topic"/controversial threads a place to just enjoy Omni. During an election year I'm really thankful PR is a sub-forum. But that's my opinion as a regular FTer.

Cheers.