FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:57 pm
Mile-a-holic

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
I don't think I am missing your point. I just think we have different opinions on the matter. I have seen a few examples of the behavior you describe on blogs, but I have also seen many more examples where bloggers do try very hard to understand the person's travel goals (or in some cases encourage them to start thinking about their travel goals if they haven't already) before strongly pointing them toward any particular card. I know I have countless emails back and forth with some readers on that very issue. I know other bloggers do the same. Many times the best cards aren't affiliate links at all. For example, I can't count the number of times I have seen bloggers refer folks to the AA two browser trick.

All bloggers aren't the same.
Let me be more pointed then. I was referring to your post in "interested but overwhelmed" where you started off by suggesting that the newbie check out blogs (conveniently providing a link in your signature), then mentioned three specific credit cards before providing the throw away comment "However, it really is best to set some travel goals and then apply for the offers that meet those goals." Of course, what is a newbie likely to do except follow the link, and apply for one or two of the cards that you suggested?

The FTers, on the other hand, asked questions and provided specific advice to the OP. Granted, the post degenerated a bit into how much time to devote to FT, but it still helped the OP.

But I will agree with you 100% that all bloggers are NOT the same, and did not mean to imply that, nor that all FTers are the same.

As to the main topic of this thread: if people find value in blogs, that's great and its capitalism at it's best. I just think it's too bad if FT drives away newbies and creates a false market for questionnable bloggers (the latter isn't a topic for this thread).