FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denali - Shuttle Bus or Tour
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:12 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
There will be four of us - kids are 13 and 8. Any thoughts on the 6-8 hour shuttle buses - no guide, on and off as desired, no food - for $70 vs. the 6-7 hour Tour - guide, stay with the bus, lunch - for over $300?

The price difference is big, but a good tour guide can make a difference, especially keeping the attention and interest of kids.

We do prefer to travel on our own, renting a car and exploring, so packaged tours typically aren't for us.
I happen to drive those busses in Denali and for my money I'd definitely take a green VTS shuttle bus over the tour. Yes, there's definitely something to be said for the knowledge and ability of a good tour guide but for a difference of over $200.00? An Alaskan vacation is expensive enough as it is. Buy the Denali Road Guide and read much of the same information your driver would give you for about $10.00.

I would recommend the shuttle bus (which you can get on and off of as opposed to a tour bus which you can't) and use the savings for something like a river raft trip or a couple nice meals out. The box lunch served on the tour bus is nothing special (A serving of reindeer sausage, a packet of Tillamook cheese, a roll, a bag of trail mix, a bag of baby carrots, a Nutri-Grain bar, a piece of fruit and a bottle of water) ~ You could do much better buying everyone a Foot Long at the local Subway sandwich shop out on the highway.

However you go - Have a great trip!