FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fuel surcharge on a 9 mile rental?
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:24 pm
Critic

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by tomme12
I rented today from Avis like I always do in SoCal. Ended up only driving 9 miles, tank was still full on a car that gets 20+ MPG. I didnt have a receipt for "filling" up the car upon return.. I kept saying.. I went NINE miles... "well, you still need to replace the gas" I kept saying.. what gas did I use in NINE miles... ended up charging my $13.95 fuel surcharge. They never stated this when I rented in the morning. I know Avis has this at some facilities, but not all. Normally when DO have the fuel surcharge on less than 75 miles, they tell you before you leave or there is a sign, etc. No sign, no warning, nothing.

.......s... anyone else seen this practice?
If you don't produce a receipt when you return the car, you're going to be charged for refueling. It's automatic for any return showing < 75 mi driven. The policy is usually posted on a sign at the desk (which, if you're Preferred, you probably wouldn't see because you've bypassed the desk) and sometimes provided via a sticky-note on the Preferred contract card (or possibly on the tear-off portion of the contract card). It's also posted on the website:

Originally Posted by http://redirect.avis.com/services/fso/index.html
EZFuelTM and Fuel Service Charge
If you don't choose the Fuel Service Option and you bring the car back less than full, you'll pay a fuel service charge. If you drive 75 miles or more, depending on whether you bought fuel during your rental, this charge will be a per-mile or per-gallon rate and will be stated on your rental agreement.

At most locations, if you drive less than 75 miles, we will add a flat EZFuel service charge to the rental. This can be avoided if you've purchased fuel and provide us with a receipt.