FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:49 pm
Simmo

Originally Posted by beofotch
I have been searching for a US to Europe Business Class Award. I have noticed, ANA applies the YQ fuel surcharge to its award tickets. However, US Airways has no YQ, on neither its revenue tickets nor award tickets.

When making a dummy booking PHL - FRA return on ANA, if I include both legs LH the YQ of $400 each way is included for a total of $800. If I make both legs US Airways, the site can't calculate the taxes/fees. If I make 1 leg LH and the return US, or vice-versa, The YQ comes up as $400 and then another $400 in the "other taxes" section. I think this is where they are trying to apply $400 in taxes for the US Airways leg, although US Airways doesn't charge this.

To me this appears to be a glitch, and one in which ANA is overcharging each passenger that flies a US leg if they are collecting on it when US doesn't charge them it to begin with (for a supposedly "free ticket").

Your thoughts?
That`s the way JAL and ANA operate. If you don`t like it then go redeem miles with a us based carrier to avoid or reduce YQ would be all i can suggest.