FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A pat down that ended my wife up in the ER
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:59 pm
mybodyismyown

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I don't know what the TSA did wrong in this story. I am sympathetic to the situation of the woman described in the original post, but we can't exempt people from security screening just because they have mental health issues or an aversion to airport security measures.
The TSA is a federal agency that must comply with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and provide facilities accessible to the disabled. Serious PTSD subsequent to sexual assault is a covered disability, depending on the symptoms.

From the American Association of People with Disabilities:
The TSA Office of Disability Policy Outreach's charge is to address disability policy issues and civil rights/consumer concerns specific to security issues at airports. This would include investigating complaints where people feel wronged or where the rights of people with disabilities have been violated, such as under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act or under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The OP should pursue this line of complaint and inquiry: that the TSA failed to provide accomodations appropriate to his wife's disability. The page that I linked to above gives detailed instructions on how to file these types of complaints. Don't forget to CC: your congressional representatives.