FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:24 am
Renard

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Originally Posted by Renard
My limited experience and minimal understanding tells me: If you buy a non-refundable ticket from UA, under normal circumstances UA will refund NOTHING...not the fare, not the taxes. Asking UA to refund the taxes portion on a non-refundable ticket will be met with hysterical laughter. If you pay the change fee, the total (fare and taxes) is applicable towards another ticket. That would seem to indicate the taxes are paid upon use of the service and not prepaid to the govt authorities in anticipation. UA pays the SAR if/when you fly.
As an fyi -

I can't cite UA, but, I know when I cancelled a BA non-refundable from LHR-CDG, I did get the taxes (and gov't fees, I think) refunded, which was the bulk of the econ fare I bought.
I was able to do this once too with BA....at least five years ago. However, I predict you'd get nowhere with this on UA today. (I tried this once a few yrs ago with CO and was met with hysterical laughter--not unexpected though.)