FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Too polite for GlobalFirst...
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:16 pm
travelcomments

Programs: Plenty
Too polite for GlobalFirst...

Recent and one of a kind experience on GlobalFirst.

Two hours into a very long international flight, the lead FA approached me and asked "I do not know if you fly international first class a lot" and then proceeded to explain to me helpful details such as water being available throughout the flight, etc.

This was done in a manner which clearly implied that I apparently was "mis-placed" in GlobalFirst. The question was not hostile, rather a bit "concerned" with me being apparently lost - but clearly mis-placed. And, no, I do not want compensation (had to mention this)... All I did was to politely respond with a "thank you".

Background:
- Lifetime flights: 1400+
- Lifetime flights in premium cabins, incl. international first: 500+

So why "too polite"? Because I was raised to say thank you and please every time it is warranted. Which is something I especially do when sitting in an aluminum tube 35,000 feet up in the air. Some may consider this excessively polite, to me it is an often long lost standard of civility.

Apparently being polite is so usual that no self-respecting true first class passenger would stoop down to such behavior in GlobalFirst (some FT members are clearly different, and some even hand out Tootsie Pops...).

Could it have been another reason? I was dressed like on 100s of other - non-commented on - premium flights, I was capable of operating my seat on my own, found my way to the bathroom on my own, etc. So not really.

It just makes me wonder what kind of crew UA puts onto GlobalFirst flights (a look at the manifest would have given the crew a hint that I was not a first time flyer). And it makes me wonder what passes for standard behavior these days in first class if being polite elicits such a response.

No wonder GlobalFirst is the domain of upgraders, non-revs and in my case FF miles burners (saver award, of course). Let's see what happens if I behave all moody on the return trip...