FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choice Hotels Property Review Thread
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:26 am
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Comfort Inn Silicon Valley East--Fremont, CA

More Northern California Choice properties. Stayed here 7/19 on an 8K redemption. Quite removed from central Silicon Valley (about 15 minutes away from SJC using I-880) but right off the interstate and across I-880 from the Tesla automotive plant. Nice, newer property that I felt was the second best of my California stay (Comfort Suites SJC was first, coming up in my next review). Didn't really explore the neighborhood but a quick glance around on arrival and departure left me with the impression that the immediate area is pretty sterile but will eventually see further development. King-sized room was pretty standard size for Comfort properties. Wifi was good.

Odd experience checking in at the front desk in that I was actually greeted as a status member with Choice. I don't particularly care about that particular amenity, but I notice that all of the surveys about stays at Choice ask about whether I was recognized as a Choice Privileges member, and this was the first hotel that did. Admittedly, the front desk clerk said something along the lines of "I see you're a Choice Platinum member, woo-hoo!" as if he were kidding a bit, but I suspect given the questions asked in the surveys that the staff at this hotel must have recently gotten some training that emphasized that they're supposed to do this.

Breakfast was standard Choice except for the lack of any scrambled or Frisbee-style eggs. Instead, biscuits, sausage, and gravy were the featured items. Breakfast room was much larger than the standard Choice property and there's an outdoor, covered patio outside the front entrance with about half a dozen tables that I would have used if I hadn't grabbed the last table inside.

At current redemption rates, and if you're willing to drive a bit, this is the property in the area to use for an award as it appears much nicer than some of the 16-20K Choice redemption in the Valley. Hard to argue with 8K, especially because with a more central location, I could see rooms at this hotel going for $120-130 given the relatively good condition of the property. Current rates for a king-sized room are $90 but $72 for advance purchase.