FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choice Hotels Property Review Thread
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:03 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Comfort Inn Monterey Bay

Next stop on the Northern California tour. Stayed 7/22 [EDIT: original post said 8K redemption--that's incorrect, actually on a paid rate at $79]. Another pleasant Comfort Inn property with no particular surprises one way or the other in so far as the building, condition, cleanliness, or breakfast was concerned. One-story property on the north side, two stories on the south with parking in between. The property is located on North Fremont Street, several miles from Cannery Row and to the east of Highway 1. Surrounding area is filled with hotels, some restaurants, and light commercial buildings. In my brief time there, did not have any safety concerns.

North Fremont is a main thoroughfare and traffic in the morning may be an issue if you're in rooms numbered below -15 on either the first or second floor, but I was in room 112 and really wasn't bothered much by the traffic. Old-fashioned superstition reflected in the absence of a room 113. Traffic was not an issue at night.

Breakfast room is small but augmented by an equal-sized outdoor area where I sat Monday morning for breakfast. During this time, I learned that the hotel is close to a flight path for the nearby Monterey airport. Mostly, RJs flying in, and obviously, not much of an issue as I hadn't noticed any aircraft noise before having breakfast. Standard breakfast offerings, including scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, hot and cold cereals, breads and pastries, coffee, juices, milk, and tea. Large flat screen TV for the CNN junkies.

Pet friendly although I did not see any pets. Sauna, hot tub, and whirlpool available, but I didn't have a chance to sample these amenities. Decent wifi but not blazingly fast.

If you don't need to be in walking distance of Cannery Row or are simply looking for a centrally located base to see Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, and Santa Cruz, this is a good choice. This property [EDIT: adding that it currently runs on a 20K redemption rather than the 8K redemption mentioned in the earlier version of this post] but is probably comparable to some I've seen for 16K. I'd pay $90-100 for the king-sized room I stayed in, understanding that this price might increase for one of the occasional special events in the area (king room is available this Sunday night for $100, [EDIT: to add that a week from Sunday for $90,] and other rates are cheaper).

Last edited by lwildernorva; Aug 3, 2012 at 8:54 am Reason: Correct error in redemption rate in original post; added information on available rates