FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading International Codeshares (LH-Operated Flight)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:12 am
SEA1K4EVR

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by GBadger
yup...
By UA's website, though, the LH flight is showing:
F0, A0, J4, C4, D0, Z0, P0, Y0, B0, M0, U0, H0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0

Not sure how reliable that is, but maybe as *G on a B fare I'd have a chance at an op-up?
If nothing else, I'm on the A380 for the first time .
ExpertFlyer shows: F0 A0 J9 C9 D9 Z0 Y4 B3 M2 U2 H1 Q1 V1 W1 S1 for the LH operated flight (non code share). There are 10 open or blocked seats on the seatmap in biz class. Op-up? Sure stranger things have happened. On a plane of that size if it's showing Y4 you can bet it's already oversold...but who knows by how much.

Star Alliance upgrades must be requested at least 24 hours in advance so it'll be too late for this now...but maybe for next time..

The only hail Mary option that I can think of here is if you could convince an LH agent to take over the ticket and re-book it as a non-code share, and then after they do it..call UA and do a *A upgrade. I have zero experience doing this with LH, but I did once have success at the airport in SEA having a UA agent (pre-merger, when code share flights on UA metal were not upgradeable except at the airport) take over a US code share ticket 100% on UA metal. After taking it over I was able to upgrade the rest of my itinerary. If LH would do it... you'd likely have to have 100% LH flights remaining on the itinerary. I'm guessing there's about a 5% chance of success..but if I were in your situation I would definitely give it a try...if you got a knowledgeable ticketing agent who was in the mood to help you out it might work.