Old Aug 2, 12, 9:28 am
MtRoot

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
The issue in OP's case was not that ORD-IAH wasn't available, but that united.com couldn't find the ORD-IAH-DOH-BOM routing for your ORD-BOM query (perhaps because IAH is not considered as a normal connecting city for ORD-BOM), so you had to find it manually and call UA to book it. Per UA's award chart, the number of miles is the same for the same region pair regardless of the number of segments or total distance (maybe there are limits but they are practically irrelevant for most people).

Originally Posted by vkng View Post
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor...

Let me get this straight - even if there is no domestic award availability, they will add it on at no charge for an international award flight?

You mean I didn't need to overnight in Houston last year because there was no IAH-ATL availability after my international leg? How did I miss this?

EDIT: I read the article, and this is not the case. Award availability is still needed on the domestic portion. Still a good tip, but not as earth shattering as I thought.
Actually I had a couple of such experiences (being able to add a domestic segment when saver award is not available) when I called UA to change the route.

Say I've originally booked MUC-ORD-PIT but there is a MUC-IAD flight I really want to take (such as LH F) and is available, but I see no saver award availability on IAD-PIT. I then check revenue o/w fare for IAD-PIT and it turns out to be reasonable, so I call UA thinking that I could just purchase a separate ticket for that segment. I tell the agent I want to take those two flights, expecting to be told that IAD-PIT is not available. Surprisingly, however, the agent books both segments without a hitch.

In my case, the IAD-PIT segment booked into XN, which is coach saver award for elites so it should have shown up when I searched for IAD-PIT. There is a slight chance that I forgot to log in and only XN was >0, but I have another similar experience and I usually make sure that I'm logged in when I do award search.

Has anyone had similar experience?