FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA vs. LH - Biz vs. First
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:48 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
I don't think any FRA-based A330s have the new business class cabin yet, so in my view UA is a winner in C based on seat. There are those who object to UA's 2-4-2 arrangement aboard the 3-cabin 777, but I will take flat over angled any day of the week, and twice on Sunday, especially for an overnight transatlantic leg. On a daylight trip, food, beverage, connectivity and entertainment become more important for me, so LH becomes more competitive in that regard.

LH First is miles ahead of United in almost all measures, but you probably won't find O inventory until <2 weeks from your flight, despite what united.com tries to tell (or sell) you! I don't think East Coast-EU is a good value for F awards, but if you choose to go that route, book a UA flight as a placeholder and make change closer-in when availability is better.
Excellent advice. LH F > UA F > UA C > LH C. The one caveat is that LH C beats UA old C, but I believe it is all UA new C on the IAD-LHR route or at least that it will be by next year.