FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you share a room with a stranger?
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:30 am
peachfront

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Of course, but it's usually a hostel or similar type situation. Not some guy I met at the airport. No reason it wouldn't work out fine for a big guy like you, Yaatri. We little people have to be a bit more skittish.

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I am talking about a total stranger whom you have just met?
I did, once, my first time in Amsterdam.

I had a scheduled and involuntary, 22 hour layover in AMS. There was no way for me to get into AMS before the only flight to my destination left.

I was waiting in a queue at a hotel desk in AMS when I heard the agents say, "No more singles". Double room cost quite a bit more than a single room.
I asked the guy in front of me if he would consider sharing a double room, as there are no more singles. He, a South African fellow, was all for it. I was returning from an acoustics conference in Luxembourg and he was on his way to a conference.
He was quite familiar with the city, which helped me prepare for a trip to AMS with my wife a few months later. We went into town and met one of his friends, a Heineken salesman, who treated us to lunch. and invited us to a Heineken bottling plant, which we couldn't do.
It worked out quite well. Could have been bad.