FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aug. 25 ORD-area dinner with Captain Denny: Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:11 pm
Capt Denny

Dinner Update

To all my flying friends,

If you are in ORD on the 25th I would love to see you. Last year on this date we were remembering the memory of Capt Jason Dahl and that is what I would like to do again. It is not a fund raiser per se because I am not going to ask for any money during the dinner. The raffle takes place through the Flyer Talk blog which sandiego1k will post on the 25th and chances are accepted on the dahlfund.org website via paypal.

Last year we raffled off a ride in a WWII T-6 Texan. American Airlines Capt John Lohmar owns the aircraft and will again offer it as our prize. Capt John races the aircraft at the Reno Air Races in mid September and the winner will also get two tickets and pit passes to the race. Capt John will also be joining us at the dinner and will bring along some footage of his Reno Racing career.

As you all know Capt Dahl tragically lost his life when terrorist took control of his aircraft. His wife, Sandy Dahl, started a scholarship in his name to keep his memory and love of flying alive. She has commented many times that this effort lets the terrorist know that they have not won.

Sandy presented ten students with $18,000 in scholarships on May 12th. Two weeks later she passed away in her sleep at a young age of 52. Sandy will be sadly missed. Sandy was a terrific advocate for Jason and both their memories will be with us as we continue her work.

Capt Denny