FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Announcement: USAirways Discontinues Interline Bag Check on Split Tickets
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:54 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
But why is fee harmonization across an entire itinerary any business of the DOT? This should be based on the passenger's elite status/benefits and class of service purchased with the first airline of travel.

How is one airline supposed to know another airline's fee policy to harmonize with them?
This is a good pro-consumer rule on the part of DOT - instead of possibly being hit with multiple bag fees across an itinerary, you now pay one fee only (the lowest) and get one allowance (the highest) and it's in the rules instead of just being a common practice for some carriers.

As with any good pro-consumer rule, US found a partial loophole and extended its middle finger to customers.

I'm not the message, only the messenger - and per my original post, this is only likely to impact a small number of customers who have multiple tickets on one itinerary. I do know, however, that some corporate agencies like Carlson Wagonlit will issue multiple tickets on an itinerary for one-way or multi-destination itineraries that span more than one airline instead of issuing a single ticket on the first carrier's plate. I believe they do this to gouge customers out of extra booking fees....now those customers will have checked-bag issues en route when flying US+another carrier.