FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyWorld

Originally Posted by iahkid2014
Thanks! Yeah I'm flying the A380 for the first time so I really don't want to have to change my flight.
A few things to consider:

1. At FRA sometimes you will land in the open area and get bussed to the terminal. If you've ever done this, you know how long it takes to walk off the plane, fill the bus, drive all around, then get back into the terminal. Easy 30-45 minutes.

2. FRA is the size of a small city. If there is a large delta between each terminal, it could take 20-30 minutes to get to the next gate.

Therefore, you could spend 1:15 simply getting from your arriving flight to the gate of your departing flight.

In addition, in some cases you can get stuck going through immigration or security at FRA. It still isn't clear to me when that applies, but it's happened to me several times when I didn't expect it. That adds another hour.

Consider also the odds of delay on arrival. And, that you should be at the gate at least 30 minutes before departure. On all US bound flights I've ever taken, there is also been an extra security interview, and there is a queue to go through that process.

When I fly into FRA and connect to a US bound flight to return home, my minimum connection time is 4 hours. I know, this is extreme, but the main point is that I don't want to give up my confirmed upgrade, and normally I've booked into R space on these flights. I've sat at FRA for 5 or 6 hours before.

I don't worry so much about arrival from the US because my next jump from FRA is usually in E on a short flight.

If you are in E and not upgrading or you're in paid premium cabin, and all this is on one LH ticket on LH metal then LH should protect you, so you can then take more chances than I'd be willing to take.